Search This Blog

Saturday, October 18, 2014

The Atomic Symbol Ga



Ga

One day I brought my homework home
And found it quickly made me moan,
"What on earth is meant by G and A?"
To which my wise and learned mum
Said, "It stands for gallium."
"Gally what?" I asked in stark dismay.

She looked at me and cleared her throat
And then declared as if by rote
"A bluish white metallic element
Which is obtained especially
When refining ores you see
And is in some devices prevalent...

As the semiconductor..."
Oh I couldn't interrupt her,
"With the atomic number 31,
Also true of this metal
It is one post-transitional..."
It was just then that I started to run

As she started then to state
That Its standard atomic weight
"...is six nine point seven two three and (one)..."
I couldn't stay trapped there inside
With my mum so filled with pride
As she sang of the joys of gallium!

So I didn't hear the rest
Knowing I would fail the test
On its electron configuration,
I cared not for its density
Or molar heat capacity
Or of its heat of vaporization!

However when tea time arrived
Thinking that I had survived
I sat down to fill my rumbling tum
And for the next hour or so
Whilst trapped there with no where to go
The conversation was on gallium!

By Kerin Gedge

No comments:

Post a Comment