Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

What is the Meaning of Horror?


Horror

One night I heard a bump and woke
To a voice which in me spoke
And said that something was inside my home!
Then a grating crash so loud
The voice inside me screamed, it yelled
That I was home defenseless and alone!

But so filled with dread was I
I stayed right where I was for I
Found myself pained with an intense fear,
Grappling with extreme dismay
My body decided to stay
In bed to ponder the unknown out there...

Horror was indeed the word
That described just how disturbed
I was by the strange noises I could hear:
A gasping and indeed breathing
A rasping and curdling wheezing
Growing louder as it climbed my stairs...

Then a silence in the night
So intense I thought my fright
Just might be a trick of midnight dreams?
Then suddenly my door swung wide
And looming in the hall outside
Was something that on earth I had not seen...

For hanging in the twilight hall
Was a creature grey and tall
With giant eyes from goodness knows from where!
An alien with cruel intent
Desires I could not invent
To capture me for torture far from here!

The creature had the quality
To inspire horror in me
And indeed repugnance and aversion,
For it telepathically
Made my frightened mind to see
That I would soon succumb to its perversion!

Oh and how I cried and tried
To get away but found that I'd
Become paralyzed from my eyes down,
And though I looked inside to find
Within my trembling heart and mind
There was no bravery there to be found!

It leaned it's body over me
So pale and frail and so ghostly
So I could see my horror in its eyes...
Along with my apprehension
That he would take me with him
And use me to abuse me in the skies!
And then the darkness like a net
Claimed me for its midnight pet
And carried me into a new nightmare,
Where only on occasion
My personal invasion
Was caught in glimpses by the blinks of fear...

And then upon my couch I woke
With pizza all around and coke
And my Telly buzzing statically
And surely although so slowly
The night before came back to me
I had been watching Horror on the telly...

Was it all a silly dream,
The creature I could swear I'd seen,
Or was it just a figment of my brain?
So horrific was the sight
I decided that my plight
Had to be a dream to keep me sane...

So up the stairs I went to bed
And as my pillow touched my head
I heard a bang, a crash from down the stairs!
Grappling with extreme dismay
My body decided to stay
In bed to ponder the unknown out there...

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I love the rhythm of your verse. I also like how it tells a little story. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen, thanks again! I just realized today that one of my verses didn't actually rhyme, but have fixed it now :) Thanks to you this one got over 50 views this week, which was pretty good for a new poem! If I can think of any more Horror related definitions I'll let you know!

      Delete